Ancient cultures of Central America were fond of their quinoa, corn and chia seeds for easy, energising satiation – and it turns out our taste buds agree with their pairing as well. This high-protein, vegetarian dish makes a great alternative to animal products and is a heart-healthy diet.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups corn kernels (organic)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeds removed and minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cups fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 scallions sliced thin (white and green parts)
- Sea salt to taste
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly, and combine with water in a medium pot. Place on medium heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through and no water remains. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and the jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes. Add the corn kernels, season with salt and toss, and cook for 4-5 minutes longer. Add the hemp seeds, chia seeds and lime juice, toss, and remove from heat.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the corn mixture and half of the scallions. Season with salt to taste, and sprinkle the remaining scallions on top. Serve warm.