According to a 2017 research, ginger contains compounds called zingerone and shogaols, which may help with weight loss. These compounds are involved in the processes that burn and store fat. Kale is low in calories and high in water, and so is excellent weight loss. The flavours of this soup are wonderful with enough ginger and garlic to stand up to the hearty kale and shiitakes.
- 1 TB. sesame oil
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed well
- 150g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, and thinly sliced
- 8-10 leaves of kale, stemmed and sliced into thin ribbons
- 2tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat sesame oil. Add ginger, garlic, and onions, and stir for a minute.
- Add carrot and celery, and stir for a minute.
- Add vegetable stock, tamari or soy sauce, and dried shiitake mushrooms. Simmer soup for
- Add fresh shiitake mushrooms and kale, and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove dried shiitake mushrooms and remove the pan from heat. Add lemon juice.
- Serve with brown rice.