If you struggle with your weight and constantly crave sweet treats, this may be due to the fact that food tastes different to you. Research shows that those who are overweight could be less sensitive to sweet flavours than their thinner counterparts, and have to eat more sweet things in order to satisfy their cravings. These findings could lead to future treatments for obesity as it could become possible to change the make-up of cells on the tongue to stop overweight people from craving sweet foods. In the meanwhile, let’s check out this healthy sweet recipe…
Not only is this a delicious dessert, it is easy to prepare and is low in calories.
- 1 large dessert apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- Few drops vanilla essence
- 3-4 tbsp clear honey
- 300g blackberries
- 1 egg white
- 4-5 tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
- Few mint leaves (optional)
- Place the apple, vanilla and honey in a pan and cook gently until just softened. Add the blackberries and cook gently until all the fruit is soft.
- Put a couple of the stewed blackberries in the base of each serving dish or jar. Leave the rest until cold. Then, gently mash or lightly beat the fruit together without turning it to puree.
- Whisk the egg white until standing in peaks and fold this into the fruit puree along with the yoghurt, but don’t fold too much.
- Divide evenly and leave to chill. Serve!