This refreshing salad is made of several power foods. Spinach is high in iron, vitamin C is abundant in strawberries and orange juice and walnuts contain inflammation-fighting omega-3 fatty acids. And the salad is very low-cal and hence great for your waistline.
For the glazed walnuts:
- 1/2 cup raw, chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 6 to 8 cups loosely-packed fresh spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine the walnuts, maple syrup, and sea salt in a small bowl. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and toast on the center rack of oven for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally till the nuts turn golden brown. Let them cool.
- To make the dressing: Combine the vinegar, maple syrup, garlic and orange zest. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- To make the salad, place the spinach, strawberries, and cooled walnuts in a large serving bowl. Toss gently with the dressing until well coated. Serve fresh.