A very aromatic and simple Goan delicacy, this dish is intrinsically connected to the use of turmeric leaves in which they are baked or steamed leaving a distinct aromatic flavour which is in itself is a big draw to the taste buds.
- 150g brown rice
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 20g jaggery (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of rock salt
- 8-10 turmeric leaves
- Soak the rice in water for an hour. Grind the rice with a little water and salt to form a paste.
- Mix the coconut, jaggery and cardamom powder well.
- On the front side of each turmeric leaf, spread a little rice paste thinly and evenly.
- Then place a little of the coconut mix in the centre and fold the leaf over pressing the edges firmly.
- Steam the patoleos. Serve with leaves on, in a dish.