Whatever the size and make up of your family, you must involve the members in all your health and eating habits. It’s important that children understand the value of good healthy eating, as well as discovering the great joy that good food can play in their lives. Banish the Five White Devils
- white rice
- white flour
- white pasta
- white potatoes
- white sugar
and replace them with the Five Nutrition Angels:
- quinoa, buckwheat and barley
- wholegrain breads and sourdough
- beans, chickpeas and lentils
- sweet potatoes
- agave nectars and sweeteners.
Here is a fabulous, healthy recipe that’s easy to make for a weekend. Both the kids and adults in the family will love them.
Delicious Breakfast Bars (Makes 12 bars)
120g barley oat flakes
2 wheat breakfast cereal biscuits such as Weetabix
60g pumpkin seeds
60g pistachio nuts, chopped
60g sunflower seeds
30g white sesame seeds
30g flax seeds
30g chia seeds
60g dried cranberries, chopped
pinch dried ginger
pinch ground cinnamon
80g agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 360°F/180°C degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients, mix well.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, agave nectar and the honey. Pour this over the dry ingredients and stir, thoroughly coating the dry ingredients.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and spray it lightly with oil. Pour mixture in and lightly flatten using the palm of your hand.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 25 minutes, remove and allow to cool for 2 minutes in the tray. Using a large kitchen knife mark cut lines approximately 3 x 1inches (18 x 3 cm) wide. Place in refrigerator until set.
- Once set, cut bars into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.