The benefits of regular brisk walking as part of a healthy lifestyle have been recognised for years. Walking remains one of our most accessible and directly beneficial forms of exercise. Regular brisk walking helps to:
- maintain a healthy weight
- improve strength, stamina and suppleness
- stimulate your bowels and keep them regular
- prevent osteoporosis
- reduce high blood cholesterol levels
- reduce high blood pressure
- reduce the risk of stroke by up to 50%
- reduce the risk of diabetes by up to 40%
- reduce anxiety and tension
- improve the quality of sleep.
As with so many forms of exercise, the trick is simply to get into the habit. If you’re not a regular walker, nobody expects you take a three-mile hike tomorrow. But by taking it gradually – starting with just a 15-minute stroll and then building up as and when you feel comfortable – you’ll be surprised at how quickly walking will become a part of your normal routine.