Brown rice is full of the essential fibre that helps to lower cholesterol, lose weight, and increase satiety. Green apples contain the compound pectin, that works as a prebiotic to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut. It can help you break down foods better. The high fibre content in green apples can improve your digestive health and aid weight management.
- 2 cups brown rice, well rinsed and drained
- 5 cups cold water
- 6 tart apples like Granny Smith, peeled in strips, quartered, and cored
- 1 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 2 cups soymilk sweetened with jaggery or stevia
- Put the rice in a heavy-based pan. Add water. Bring to a boil, then cover tightly, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25–30 minutes. When ready, the rice should be very well cooked.
- Meanwhile, put the apples in a pan with the maple syrup. Cover tightly and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low and let cook gently until the rice is ready. Be sure that the apples don’t boil dry.
- Drain the rice in a colander. Put the miso and soymilk in the rice pan and bring to a simmer. Add the rice and simmer, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Fold in most of the apples and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the rice porridge topped with the remaining apples.