Usually, children aren’t enthusiastic about eating healthy foods in the school lunchbox. Unfortunately, way too often the lunch box can be filled with foods filled with high sugar, high fat and high salt foods because the kids like them and they are quick and easily available in the market. These low-nutrition and high fat foods lead to weight gain. The trick is to send the kids to school with foods that are nutritious while still being interesting. This will help maintain their metabolism, keep their energy levels high, their focus raised and their weight healthy. Include in your recipes chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, dark chocolate, berries, flaxseed oil, goji berries, nuts, oats, sprouts, leafy greens, apples, kale, spinach, mushrooms, dates, honey, eggs, olive oil, fresh herbs, fish, spices, whole grains and dairy. Don’t forget to add a little surprise in the form of a treat to make the lunch box an enjoyable adventure. Try these Chocolate-Apricot Bonbons for a healthy treat:
- 1 cup mix of raw cashew nuts walnuts and almonds
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 8 large dates, pitted
- 4 tbsp small dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp lightly roasted pumpkin or flax seeds
- 4 tbsp good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- Put the dates, apricots and cashews in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and seeds, pulse a little to mix them in.
- Make bonbons out of the mixture.
- Coat each bonbon lightly with cocoa powder.