Dalia is made from whole wheat to retain all the goodness of the grain. It is a great source of fibre and complex carbohydrates. Combined in this recipe with the nutritious properties of fresh tomatoes, onions, cucumber and green leafy herbs, it makes a super low-fat, healthy yet filling salad that can be served as a meal or as side dish.
100g dalia wheat
3 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and diced
1 red onion, chopped
½ cucumber, deseeded and diced
15g pack chives, finely chopped
20g pack mint, finely chopped
20g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, cut into wedges
* Measure out 150ml boiling water and set it by the hob.
* Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the dalia. Stir it constantly as you dry roast it for about two minutes or until you get a nutty, toasty smell.
* Add the water and a pinch of salt.
* Stir once, then allow dalia and water to simmer for a few minutes by which time the water should be absorbed. Allow it to cool thoroughly.
* Meanwhile, mix together the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and herbs. Stir in the wheat and oil. Season to taste.
* Serve with the lemon wedges. This stops the herbs from going dark and allows diners to add the lemon juice themselves.
Tip: You could replace the mint with either coriander or dill.