Zucchini is a great vegetable for weight loss, full of filling fibre and so versatile. Mushrooms are used in this recipe but you can just as easily use mince or lentils depending on your taste and what’s in the cupboard. Really fast to assemble, this makes a fab kid-friendly and waist-friendly meal.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp and seeds, leaving ¼ inch shell (use a small spoon for this). Reserve pulp from two zucchini and chop. Combine zucchini pulp, garlic, tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil and ½ cup cheese in a medium bowl. Divide mixture among zucchini shells.
- Place stuffed zucchini in a 13 x 9 baking dish; cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil.