Try this healthy burger made with the pretty-hued Masoor dal, which is a powerhouse of nutrients with a good amount of dietary fibre and proteins. It is low in glycaemic index. The dal is low on the fat content. Marjoram that is used in this recipe has important health benefits. Compounds derived from marjoram have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
- 4 large clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dry marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 cups cooked masoor dal
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Chaat masala (optional)
- Chop garlic, sprinkle with salt and mash.
- Mix bread crumbs, marjoram, pepper and the garlic paste together.
- Add cooked masoor dal and garam masala. Blend until the mixture comes together. Form into four 3-inch patties.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until browned on the bottom. Carefully turn over and cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Sprinkle some chaat masala for an added kick.