Lauki halwa is a delicious dessert that is packed with the goodness of vital nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene and magnesium that promote good health. On account of lauki’s low glycaemic index, this dessert can be devoured by those suffering from diabetes, although this dessert can be a healthy treat, it is calorie dense, so keep it to a small portion. Here’s a dessert for five!
1kg grated lauki (white pumpkin) remove seeds before grating
2 tbsp ghee
½ tsp cardamom
10 almonds, blanched and cut into thin slivers
2 tbsp raw honey
* Heat milk in a vessel and reduce to 1 cup.
* Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed (preferably non-stick) pan on a medium flame till warm.
* Add the grated lauki to this ghee and stir to mix. Cook, stirring frequently till the lauki turns transparent.
* Now add the reduced milk and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes and add the cardamom powder and honey and mix.
* Cook till most of the moisture evaporates from the halwa and it turns to a thick pudding consistency. Stir frequently to prevent scorching and burning. When done, turn off fire and allow cooling till just warm.
* Garnish with almond slivers and serve.