This recipe is suitable for vegans. If you prefer, you can use a small sliced onion instead of the leek. It’s great as a quick fuel food after a run or a jog.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 potato (about 250g), peeled and finely sliced
- 600ml vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g watercress
- Freshly-ground nutmeg
- Heat the oil and sauté the leek and potato for 3 minutes or until soft, but not coloured. Add the stock, season and simmer for 7 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and breaking up.
- Add the watercress, return to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Blitz with a stick blender until velvety smooth. Adjust the seasoning and add grated nutmeg to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with watercress and cheese scones.