Smoothies are a quick and easy way to get vital nutrients. Because they are easy to swallow, they are a favourite of senior adults as also children. Research suggest that blueberries may influence genes which regulate fat-burning and storage, helping reduce abdominal fat and lower cholesterol. When combined with a low-fat diet, blueberries might also lower triglycerides and improve blood sugar levels, helping a weight loss plan. According to a study published in the ‘International Journal of Obesity’, when consumed in moderation, almonds help overweight people lose more weight than those on a high-carb diet with the same number of calories.
- 1 1/2 cups ripe chunks of frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (wild, organic when possible)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut or sunflower seed butter)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened low-fat milk/soy milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Give it a swirl in a blender. Serve immediately. The recipe serves 2.