These baked eggs make a nice change for breakfast. You can also try spicing it up by adding tomatoes, onions and chilli with the spinach instead of mushrooms and cream.
- 2 cups mushrooms, washed and thickly sliced
- 1 handful spinach, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp low fat cream
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 2-3 tsp finely chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray or brush two individual ramekins or a flat casserole dish with extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté mushrooms until they release all their liquid. Add the spinach and garlic and season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the cream and quickly transfer to baking dishes.
- Break an egg over the mushrooms in each individual dish (or two eggs over all the mushrooms in a casserole dish.) Season eggs with a little salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste and sprinkle a little Parmesan over them.
- Bake eggs until they are done to your liking, about 10 minutes for firm whites and partly-soft yolks.